Who is she?

My Photo
G
Newark, NJ, United States
View my complete profile

Saturday, February 17, 2007

Surgery is Out!

You know the feeling when you have so many options, one of which you will never consider, but then something or someone explains to you that you're not allowed to choose that particular thing, and you all of a sudden become interested? Yes that feeling, what do u call it? lol

I think that's why I had such a crush on surgery.. yes, I'm so sad to say it was an infatuation, no more no less.. Something like Eve's apple, the forbidden fruit lol..

Here's what happened on Wednesday..
Wednesday is OR day (operation room).. I was running a bit late, so I headed directly to the the OR, changed into my scrubs, wore the head piece and off to surgery..
1st case, no biggy, just some axillary lymph node dissection, nodes were out and sent to pathology.
2nd case,
A middle aged woman, for thyroidectomy (removal of her thyroid).. This time, the consultant asked me to scrub in (this is the process of peeling ur skin to reach a less colonized layer lol).. I was thrilled, now I get to touch and watch closely.. So not even 5 minutes into the operation, I started feeling funny; lightheaded, with some funny ringing in my ears.. I tried to overcome this feeling and resist my urge to move away from the operating table.. Thinking it would go away with time..

VERY wrong decision, it only got worse.. next to be lost was my eyesight.. I suddenly blacked out, I only remember putting eveything in my hands down, and taking 2 steps backwards, then saying as calmly as possible: "I can't see!"

That's when I felt numerous hands holding me as my knees gave out!

1 hour later, I wake up.
I found the resident in front of me, so I close my eyes again thinking:
This doesn't make any sense, when I wake up I should find my husband in front of me.. Damn it, I'm fantasizing again lol..

I open my eyes again, yep, still the anesthesia resident.. I start to get recollections of what happened, I find I'm hooked up to IV fluids, with numerous OJ cups to my side..

The resident tells me I had severe hypoglycemia and severe hypotension, then deliberately asked me if I were pregnant.. At that point I started to freak out, I don't know why.. it was like he was asking me if i had an incurable disease or sth lol..

Anyway, I was sent home on my first OR day, how sad is that? Funny thing is, I'm so bored doing surgery and feel like my brain is on a vacation.. am I watching too much "House M.D"?!

Bad news are: I have to decide very soon what specialty I wanna be doing, cuz the acceptanse exams are only 2 ~ 3 months away, and we are each allowed 3 choices.. As much as it hurts me to finally spit it out, surgery out, u were a nice seasonal boyfriend, but I don't think we can commit.. I must throw 3 new cards on the table, and I can't be any more clueless!

Current options I'm evaluating (but not final nevertheless):
1. Immunology
2. Neurology
3. Diagnostic Radiology

I need professional help :(

10 Comments:

Anonymous said...

Interceptive Radiology gurl,this is the real future.

Anonymous said...

why????
reconsider surgery please....
that could happen to anyone...

dont do that now ... i am agirl and am into surgery and now u r breaking my dreams :(

well i hope u choose the best for you not the easiest...
take care

G said...

Please anonymous readers, would u mind at least leaving a name or an alias? The way I wouldn't have to refer to u as anon #1 and anon #2 :)

#1: and by interceptive u dont mean interventional do u?

#2: I will NEVER go for the easiest.. It's against my principles.. my #1 concern is that I'm doing something that I know no one else could be better at.. ;)
Good luck sweetie, and if you're not an intern yet, TRUST ME, you will be surprised when you are..

Anonymous said...

yup,some call it interceptive,and others interventional.

Wolf GloW.

The Solar Alchemist said...

ok since I don't have a clue about this stuff all i can say is good luck in what ever you choose

DiDi said...

neurology??.. you?.. Naa.. you're not odd enough to be a neurologist..

i still say, PLASTIC BABY YEAH!!

Or radiology..

i hear they always keep the cutest guys there in all the darkness:P

Bassem said...

NEURO?!
IMMUNO?!
ooh... those make up half of the "Never understood, never will" list !
in addition to Ob Gyne and Hemato..

the best of luck in whatever u choose.. no one can tell you this ;)

but i like Radiology :D my aunt is a radiologist! she left pediatrics to become a radiologist and she expects the same fate for me since i too wanna become a pediatrician for now lol

Unknown said...

well thank God u found out now and not AFTER you already chose it... sometimes things happen for a reason

Gadfly said...

Neurology is going to break wide open in the next 10 years, but you had better be prepared to learn a LOT about microprocessors in addition to everything about the brain.

G said...

Neurology right now is my #1 choice.. There r alot of grey areas that need to be straightend out in the near future :)